I decided to cancel my myspace account today and decided to take notes on the procedure in case any of my friends wanted to know how to do it. Here are my notes:
1. Log into Myspace. Click on 'Profile' on the top.
2. Under your name, click on 'Customize Profile'.
3. On the left, under 'Account Settings & Privacy', the last item (just above the 'Messaging Settings' section) is 'Cancel Account'. Click on that.
4. Myspace will ask you: "Want to cancel your Myspace account?' Click 'Cancel account'.
5. It will ask you why you're canceling your account. Pick whatever reason you want.
6. Myspace will explain why that's a dumb reason to cancel your account and will give you the option to reconsider. Steel your heart against its entreaties and click on 'Cancel Account'.
7. This will return you to the 'Want to cancel your Myspace account?' page. Do not be fooled! Click 'Cancel account' again.
8. It will warn you of the dire consequences of canceling your account and will give you another chance to reconsider, and will also allow you to enter an explanation of your actions if you want. Fill in the text box if you feel like it, then click on 'Cancel Account'.
9. You will be taken to a screen that says:
Your request to cancel your Myspace account has been sent. You will receive an email shortly with instructions for confirming that you wish to cancel.
You must follow the instructions in that email to complete cancellation of your account. Thank you.
10. Myspace will then email you a plea to reconsider that begins:
You're… leaving us?
Sure you're ready to let go of your friends, music, and that profile design you spent so much time creating? Canceling your account means your profile and all your content will be removed from Myspace and you can't get it back!
Scroll down until you find this section:
If you're sure you want to let go, confirm the cancelation of your account by clicking the link below. Once clicked, we will schedule your account deletion, which may take up to 48 hours.
and click on the link that follows.
11. This will take you to a page that says:
Cancelling your Myspace account will permanently remove all of your profile information from Myspace, including your photos, comments, blog entries, videos, and your personal network of friends. This information cannot be restored.
You may re-register your current email address after cancelling, but you will need to rebuild your personal network from scratch.
Confirm email address:
Type in the email address that the notification was sent to, making sure not to make any typos, and click on 'Cancel account'. It will then tell you that cancellation of your account has been scheduled.
And that's it! It's as simple as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11!
(I am assuming that they will actually cancel my account.)