Jacob Haller (jwgh) wrote,
Jacob Haller

Show Report: Christmas Eve at Nick-A-Nees

910K 4:57
“Hi, I just left Nick-A-Nees, so I thought I would make a quick show report.

The deal was we were booked to play Christmas Eve without knowing it; the exact details of how that happened are still not really exactly clear to anyone. But after some going back-and-forth, we finally decided we'd do the show. However, not everyone in the band could make it, it being Christmas Eve and all. So it ended up being me and Chris and Matt, the drummer.

So yesterday Chris and I got together and had a little practice. We decided we would do a <unclear> acoustic <i>Killdevils</i> show except with added drums. Which meant that we were going playing a lot of songs that we haven't played in like 5-6 months, or longer in some cases. We got together and played them, however Matt wasn't there, so Matt went to the stage basically having played 2-3 of maybe 30-odd songs.

But it was a lot of fun and Matt did great, and it was fun playing a lot of the old songs. So that was excellent.

It started out-- I got there fairly early, probably around 7:30 or so, or maybe even a little earlier than that. There were already a fair number of people there at the bar. The place wasn't full by any means, but you know, a decent little crowd, more than I would've expected. Some of them already pretty drunk.

So that as the evening went on, more and more people arrived, and some fairly drunk folks-- which by and large was fine, drunk people in general are our friends but there were a couple of sort-of odd incidents. During second set there was a guy who started trying to play Matt's drum set while Matt was also playing his drum set. The guy was slapping his hand against one of the cymbals and Matt told him to stop and he didn't, and Matt sort-of shoved him back with one of his drumsticks, and the guy sort-of tried to challenge him to a fight. And so I was ready to go over and try to the lead the guy away, but his girlfriend beat me to it and led him away. He stayed for the rest of the evening and continued to be kind-of an alternately enthusiastic and surly presence in the bar. So that was a little weird.

Other than that, no real incidents. When Matt had heard that we were going to have two guitars there, he said to Chris "Oh man, we can do 'Freebird,'" which possibly he meant as a joke, but we did it anyway. Chris and I went over it in (rough?) detail last night and then today we tried it out, and it was kind-of a little train wreck(?) at one point, but nevertheless it was kind of fun. I don't know if we'll do it again but it was more or less successful and we had a good time and Surly Drunk Guy was pretty enthusiastic about it as well, which is probably a good thing on the whole.

So I think that's about it, and I hope everyone is having a good Christmas or whatever. I'm driving up to Massachusetts so I'll probably arrive at my Dad's house in 45 minutes or so. And then I'll go to bed on an air mattress. And in the morning I'll awaken and presents will be opened and so on.

I hope y'all are doing well, and... Bye!”

Transcribed by: sunburn

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.